Spring and Summer 2011 Bring a Series of Asthma Webinars
Pull up your calendar and block off Wednesday, June 22, from noon to 1:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) for a free webinar hosted by the National Asthma Control Initiative (NACI)—an initiative of the National Asthma Education and Prevention Program (NAEPP), coordinated by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute—and developed by the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI).
NAEPP Coordinating Committee and Guidelines Implementation Panel member Kurt Elward, MD, MPH, FAAFP, will present the following:
- The benefits of AAAAI’s Asthma Specific Tool to Help Manage Asthma and Improve Quality—ASTHMA IQ—to the primary care provider
- A closer look at the Expert Panel Report 3—Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma, especially the stepwise approach to asthma care as outlined by the guidelines and the accompanying six Guidelines Implementation Panel (GIP) Report messages
- Further insight into the differences between asthma severity and control
A clinical professor at Virginia Commonwealth University and leader of several asthma-care collaboratives, Dr. Elward has been instrumental in helping to make clinically significant improvements in asthma care and education in Virginia and elsewhere.
Also, if you couldn’t make the last two webinars in April and May, we have good news: They have been archived and are available to view at your leisure.
- Asthma Control: Are you Doing YOUR Part? An Update for School Nurses in School-based Asthma Management—by NACI Strategic Partner the American School Health Association (ASHA)—provides school nurses with information about the six guidelines-based priority GIP messages; advances in school-based asthma management; and techniques to overcome barriers to controlling asthma in the school setting.
- The Physician Asthma Care Education (PACE ) webinar, available on the Center for Managing Chronic Disease Web site, introduces PACE and discusses how it can help improve therapeutic techniques, asthma counseling reimbursement, and interactions with patients without adding time to busy schedules. The webinar features asthma experts Noreen M. Clark, PhD (Myron E. Wegman Distinguished University Professor; Director of the Center for Managing Chronic Disease, University of Michigan); Michael Cabana, MD (Adjunct Associate Professor, Health Behavior and Health Education and Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Director, Division of General Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco); and Randall Brown, MD, MPH (Adjunct Associate Professor, Health Behavior and Health Education and Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Pulmonology, Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Wayne State University).
Also archived are answers to questions from some of the webinar’s 204 participants.
Stay tuned for news of upcoming webinars.
To learn more about what other steps the NACI is currently taking to assist clinicians, visit the NACI Web site and sign up for the quarterly NACI In the Know eNewsletter.