Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual for the Filipino Community
Session 9 Handout Eating Out With the de la Cruz Family Role Play
Download Eating Out With the de la Cruz Family Role Play (217k) handout.
Ric has just arrived at his favorite Chinese restaurant buffet for a dinner with his mother, Lola Idad, and the family of his brother Cesar.
- Cesar: This is a good restaurant. They have good food for good prices.
- Ric: Eating at buffets is hard for me. I have been trying to eat healthy ever since the doctor told me that I have high blood pressure. But when I see and smell the food here, I want to try it all. It takes a lot of will power not to choose the fried foods, which have always been my favorite!
- Cesar: Remember the advice that Jose gave you, “choose the right foods, whether you are eating at home or eating out.
- Lola: That’s right, Cesar. We can all make heart healthy choices, even when we eat out. Remember, “Kung may itinanim, may aanihin.” “If you plant, you will harvest.” If you follow a healthy lifestyle, you will improve your health. Make wiser choices and eat smaller portions, and you can lower your blood pressure and lose some weight–like I did!
- Cesar: Ric, I am going to eat the steamed dumplings, vegetables, and rice with the baked fish. And I am only going to make one trip to the buffet table so I don’t eat too much.
- Ric: That sounds like a good dinner. Cesar, let’s go to the buffet table together. I will follow your lead.
Back to Session 9
Information on this page is taken from the English print version of “Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 08-3674, Originally Printed 1999, Revised May 2008.
Last Updated March 2012