Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual for the Filipino Community
Session 8 Handout Heart Healthy Scenarios With the de la Cruz Family
Download Heart Healthy Scenarios With the de la Cruz Family (255k, 3 pages) handout.
- Scene 1: Helena’s Fast Food Dilemma
Mila’s friend Helena is a busy, working mom with two children. She rarely makes dinner for her family because of her busy schedule. Three or four days a week, Helena takes her children to fast food restaurants. Her sons love eating hamburgers and french fries, drinking soda, and getting free toys. But she wants her children to live healthy lives. She is worried that they are spending too much time playing video games and watching television after school and meals. Combined with the fast food, Helena is worried that her sons will become overweight soon.
- What can Helena do on her busy schedule to feed her children healthier meals?
- What else can Helena do to help her children live healthy lives?
- Scene 2: Cesar and Mila’s Parties
Cesar and Mila like to have parties at their house. They enjoy the company of their family and friends. They usually celebrate with a lot of food and drink. They love to make chicken, leaving the skin on it, pancit, fried lumpia with pork, sinigang with a lot of patis, and sweet desserts. Their gatherings start in the afternoon and usually last through the evening. Most of the time, they are sitting down eating and drinking alcohol. At least once a week, Cesar and Mila’s friends take turns hosting parties at their houses.
- What can Cesar and Mila make for their own parties or bring to friends’ parties to make the celebrations more heart healthy?
- How can Cesar and Mila stick to their healthier eating plan when they are at the parties?
- What else can Cesar and Mila do?
- Scene 3: Eating When Stressed or Bored
Jose is trying to stay heart healthy. His doctor says he needs to lower his blood pressure and lose some weight. But eating makes him feel better when he is stressed or bored. He says it takes his mind off his problems. Even when he is not hungry, Jose likes to snack on pork rinds, salted peanuts, and regular sodas while watching television.
- How can Jose eat better to lose weight and lower his blood pressure?
- What else can Jose do to lose weight and lower his blood pressure?
Back to Session 8
Information on this page is taken from the English print version of “Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 08-3674, Originally Printed 1999, Revised May 2008.
Last Updated March 2012