Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual for the Filipino Community
Session 7 Handout Are You at Risk for Type 2 Diabetes?
Download Are You at Risk for Type 2 Diabetes? (234k) handout.
Are You at Risk for Type 2 Diabetes?
Check the risk factors you have. The more risk factors you check, the higher your risk for developing type 2 diabetes. Only your health care provider can determine if you have diabetes. On your next visit, find out for sure.
- I am overweight (especially if I have extra weight around the waist).
- I have a parent, brother, or sister with diabetes.
- My family background is Asian American, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, Latino, African American, or American Indian.
- I have had gestational diabetes, or I gave birth to at least one baby weighing 9 pounds (4.1 kg) or more.
- My blood pressure is 140/90 mmHg or higher, or I have been told by a health care professional that I have high blood pressure.
- My cholesterol levels are not normal. My HDL cholesterol (“good” cholesterol) is 35 mg/dL or lower, or my triglyceride level is 250 mg/dL or higher.
- I do very little physical activity. I exercise fewer than three times a week.
Back to Session 7
Information on this page is taken from the English print version of “Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 08-3674, Originally Printed 1999, Revised May 2008.
Last Updated March 2012