Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual for the Filipino Community
Session 7 Handout Munggo Guisado (Sauteed Mung Beans) Recipe
Download Munggo Guisado (Sauteed Mung Beans) Recipe (222k) handout.
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed (or 1 tablespoon, minced)
- 1 cup white onions, chopped (1 medium)
- 1 cup raw tomatoes, chopped (2 small)
- 1 cup raw lean pork, thinly sliced (4 ounces)
- 1 cup raw shrimp, peeled (4 ounces)
- 1 cup leaf spinach, frozen (about 2/3 of a 10-ounce package)
- 3½ cups precooked mung beans (from 1¾ cups dry beans) - To cook dry, uncooked mung beans: Wash and boil the uncooked mung beans in a large saucepan, using 6 cups of water. Cook until tender, about 1½ to 2 hours. Drain.
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- In a skillet, heat oil, and saute crushed garlic until lightly brown.
- Add onion and tomatoes. Saute until skin begins to curl.
- Add pork, and saute until lightly brown.
- Add water, and simmer pork for about 15 minutes.
- Add the sauteed mix to mung beans, and continue to simmer 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and ground pepper.
- Add peeled shrimp.
- Add frozen leaf spinach, and cook 4 minutes until done.
Yield: 8 servings
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Each serving provides:
- Calories: 160 kcal
- Total fat: 3.5 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 35 mg
- Sodium: 350 g
- Total Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 13 g
- Carbohydrate: 19 g
- Potassium: 370 mg
This side dish is heart healthy because:
- It is made with vegetables, seafood (shrimp), and lean meat.
- A small amount of corn oil is added.
- The pork is simmered slowly in moist heat.
Source: Filipino American Food Practices, Customs, and Holidays, American Dietetic Association, 1994.
Back to Session 7
Information on this page is taken from the English print version of “Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 08-3674, Originally Printed 1999, Revised May 2008.
Last Updated March 2012