Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual for the Filipino Community
Session 6 Handout Lola's Snack Choices
Download Lola's Snack Choices (560k, 3 pages) handout.
Lola and her family like to have snacks when they watch television. Recently, she and Mila have noticed that the family has gained too much weight. Use the Nutrition Facts labels to choose some tasty snacks that are lower in calories. What should the family eat?
- Shrimp-flavored crackers (serving size 30g, calories 160) vs. air-popped popcorn (serving size 8g, calories 30)
- Apple (serving size 154g, calories 80) vs. Bibingka (sweet rice cake) (serving size 273g, calories 890)
- Whole milk (serving size 1 cup, calories 150) vs. fat-free milk (serving size 1 cup, calories 90)
- Chocolate ice cream (serving size 66g, calories 170) vs. popsicle (serving size 88g, calories 45)
- Canned peaches in fruit juice (serving size 110g, calories 50) vs. canned peaches in heavy syrup (serving size 110g, calories 100)
- Banana chips (serving size 308g, calories 150) vs. dried prunes (serving size 5 prunes, calories 45)
Back to Session 6
Information on this page is taken from the English print version of “Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 08-3674, Originally Printed 1999, Revised May 2008.
Last Updated March 2012