Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual for the Filipino Community
Session 5 Handout Pledge for Life!
Download Pledge for Life! (158k) handout.
Take the pledge for life with Lola Idad. Try to do at least one of these activities by yourself or with others.
- Choose low-fat and fat-free food products more often.
- Bake, steam, broil, or grill food instead of frying it.
- Cut off the fat from the meat before cooking it.
- Use less coconut milk and condensed milk to prepare food and drinks.
- Skim the fat off soups and stews before serving.
- Throw away – and do not reuse – the fat that is drained from fatty cuts of meat.
- Choose unsaturated fat and oils to prepare foods.
- Take the skin off chicken or lechon, and do not eat it.
- Include a variety of fruits, vegetables, and oatmeal as sources of soluble fiber.
- Exchange low-fat recipes with your friends and family.
- Other (fill in)
Back to Session 5
Information on this page is taken from the English print version of “Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 08-3674, Originally Printed 1999, Revised May 2008.
Last Updated March 2012