Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual for the Filipino Community
Session 4 Handout Pledge for Life!
Download Pledge for Life! (135k) handout.
Take the pledge for life with Lola Idad. Try to do at least one of these activities by yourself and/or share with others.
- Learn the stroke warning signs.
- Share the stroke survival tips with your family and friends.
- Know your family history of high blood pressure.
- Use Nutrition Facts labels to help you choose low-sodium food products.
- If available, choose low-sodium sauces and seasonings, or reduce the amount of sauces and seasonings that are high in sodium.
- Choose canned soups that are lower in sodium or prepare homemade soup without adding salt.
- Choose unsalted crackers for a snack instead of regular potato chips.
- Reduce the amount of salt you add to foods.
- Shop for fresh or frozen vegetables and fruits instead of canned vegetables and fruits.
- Try the fish cardillo recipe and other heart healthy recipes.
- Take the saltshaker off the table.
- If you use traditional Asian medicine or home remedies, share this information with your doctor.
- Other (fill in)
Back to Session 4
Information on this page is taken from the English print version of “Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 08-3674, Originally Printed 1999, Revised May 2008.
Last Updated March 2012