Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual for the Filipino Community
Session 11 Handout Lola's Favorite Proverbs
Download Lola's Favorite Proverbs (303k) handout.
Proverbs in Tagalog and English:
- Ang karunungan ay kayamanan mo, na di maaring manakaw sa iyo.
Knowledge is wealth that cannot be stolen.
- Aanhin pa ang damo, kung patay na ang kabayo.
What good is the grass if the horse is already dead?
- Kung ano ang ginawa mo, ay siya ring bablik sa’yo.
The act of self goes back to self.
- Walang mahirap na gawa pag dinaan sa tiyaga.
No undertaking is difficult if pursued with perseverance.
- Jung may tinanim, may aanihin.
If you plant, you will harvest.
- Huli man daw at magaling, naihahabol din.
It is never too late to offer anything that is good.
- Bilisan mo ang gawain. Hinay-hinay sa pagkain.
If it’s work, do it fast. If it’s food, eat little by little.
- Kung ang isa ay hindi makapag disisyon, siya ay walang kinabukasan.
One who cannot decide will have no future.
- Ang buhay ay parang gulong minsang nasa ibabaw, minsang nasa ilalim.
Life is like a wheel; sometimes you are on top, sometimes you are on the bottom.
- Ang umaayaw ay di nagwawagi, ang nagwawagi ay di umaayaw.
A quitter never wins; a winner never quits.
- Sa taong walang takot, walang mataas na bakod.
To a fearless person, no fence is too high.
- Ang mabigat ay gumagaan, kung pinatutulngan.
A heavy burden is lightened if everyone participates in carrying it.
- Ang taong matalino ay hindi tumitingin sa pagyapak ng paa niya sa lupa. Binabantayan niya ang kanyang kasunod na hakbang.
A wise man does not see his foot on the ground; he watches his next step.
- Kung walang usok, wala ring apoy.
There is no smoke where there is no fire.
- Walang tagumpay, kung walang paghihirap.
There is no success if there is no sacrifice.
- Ang hindi marunog tumingin sa pinamggalingon, ay hindi makararating sa patuntunguhan.
Those who do not know how to look back at where they came from will never get to their destinations.
Back to Session 11
Information on this page is taken from the English print version of “Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 08-3674, Originally Printed 1999, Revised May 2008.
Last Updated March 2012