Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual for the Filipino Community
Appendix Handout Strawberry-Banana Yogurt Parfait Recipe
Download Strawberry-Banana Yogurt Parfait Recipe (205k) handout.
This recipe can be used as a part of a cooking demonstration. For variety, substitute fruit yogurt or sugar-free pudding for the vanilla yogurt. If fresh strawberries are not available, try thawed frozen fruit or canned fruit packed in fruit juice. If time permits, invite the group members to make their own parfait. Line up the bowls, and supply a measuring cup for the amount to be used for each layer. Group members will enjoy making their own desserts and eating the tasty treat!
- 4 cups light (no-sugar-added) vanilla pudding or yogurt
- 2 cups sliced bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fat-free whipped topping (Optional)
- To make the parfait, spoon 1 tablespoon of pudding into the bottom of each of four 8-ounce wine or parfait glasses. Top the pudding with 1 tablespoon of sliced bananas, 1 tablespoon of sliced strawberries, and ¼ cup of graham cracker crumbs.
- Repeat the banana, strawberry, and graham cracker layer.
- Top with a rounded tablespoon of fat-free whipped topping, if desired. Serve the parfait immediately, or cover each glass with plastic wrap and chill for up to 2 hours before serving.
Yield: 8 servings
- Calories: 179
- Total fat: 2 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 3 mg
- Sodium: 190 mg
- Total fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Potassium: 438 mg
Quick Fact: This nutritious yogurt and fruit treat will add color and joy to your celebrations.
Back to Appendix
Information on this page is taken from the English print version of “Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 08-3674, Originally Printed 1999, Revised May 2008.
Last Updated March 2012