Your Heart, Your Life: A Community Health Worker's Manual for the Hispanic Community
Session 8 Handout Maria's Veggie Wrap Recipe
Download Maria's Veggie Wrap Recipe (26k) handout.
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ avocado, peeled and diced
- juice from one lime
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder (optional)
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 4 8-inch, whole-wheat tortillas
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 6 tablespoons of fresh salsa (recipe below)
- In a nonstick pan, saute the peppers and onion in the canola oil for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add beans, and stir well. Reduce heat to low, and simmer about 5 minutes, then set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the avocado, lime juice, cilantro, and chili powder. Reserve half of the mixture for topping.
- Add sour cream to beans, and mix well.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Fill a warmed tortilla with ¼ bean mixture and ¼ avocado mixture. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of salsa over the bean and avocado mixture.
- Fold ends of the tortilla over. Roll up to make a wrap. Top the veggie wraps with remaining avocado mixture. Follow this process for three other wraps.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 1 wrap, each serving provides:
- Calories: 367
- Total fat: 6 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 5 mg
- Sodium: 318 mg
- Total fiber: 14 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 66 g
- Potassium: 976 mg
- 6 tomatoes, preferably Roma (or 3 large tomatoes)
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 serrano or jalapeño peppers, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano, finely crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- ½ avocado (black skin), diced
- Combine all of the ingredients in a glass bowl.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve within 4 or 5 hours.
Back to Session 8
Information on this page is taken from the English print version of “Your Heart, Your Life, A Community Health Worker's Manual.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 08-3674, Originally Printed 1999, Revised May 2008.
Last Updated March 2012