The results from a nuclear heart scan can help doctors:
- Diagnose heart conditions, such as coronary heart disease (CHD), and decide the best course of treatment.
- Manage certain heart diseases, such as CHD and heart failure, and predict short-term or long-term survival.
- Determine your risk for a heart attack.
- Decide whether other heart tests or procedures will help you. Examples of these tests and procedures include coronary angiography (an-jee-OG-rah-fee) and cardiac catheterization (KATH-eh-ter-ih-ZA-shun).
- Decide whether procedures that increase blood flow to the coronary arteries will help you. Examples of these procedures include percutaneous coronary intervention, also known as coronary angioplasty, and coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG).
- Monitor procedures or surgeries that have been done, such as CABG or a heart transplant.