Super Quick Chunky Tomato Sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped (about 1 clove)
- 1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers drained and diced (or substitute fresh roasted red peppers)
- 2 14½-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 5½-ounce can low-sodium tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat. Cook until soft, but not browned (for about 30 seconds).
- Add diced red peppers, and continue to cook for 2–3 minutes, until the peppers begin to sizzle.
- Add tomatoes, tomato juice, basil, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly. (Sauce can be puréed for picky eaters.).
- Use immediately. Or, refrigerate in a tightly sealed container for 3–5 days or freeze for 1–2 months.
Yield: 12 servings
Serving Size: 1/2 cup sauce
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 76 mg
Total Fiber 1 g
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 4 g
Potassium 66 mg
Recipe Source: Keep the Beat™ Recipes: Deliciously Healthy Family Meals