- 4 medium (2½ inches) tomatoes, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup cooked mixed vegetables—such as peppers, corn, carrots, or peas
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cut off the tops of the tomatoes and hollow out the insides. (The pulp can be saved for use in tomato soup or sauce, or salsa.) Set tomatoes aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, and cook until they begin to soften, about 1–2 minutes.
- Add cooked vegetables, and heat through, about another 1–2 minutes.
- Add quinoa, and cook gently until it smells good, about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover the pan. Cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid and is fully cooked, about 7–10 minutes.
- When the quinoa is cooked, remove the lid and gently fluff quinoa with a fork. Gently mix in the avocado, pepper, and parsley.
- Carefully stuff about ¾ cup of quinoa into each tomato.
- Place tomatoes on a baking sheet, and bake for about 15–20 minutes, or until tomatoes are hot throughout (tomatoes may be stuffed in advance and baked later). Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 tomato, ¾ cups stuffing
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Sodium 64 mg
Total Fiber 8 g
Protein 10 g
Carbohydrates 46 g
Potassium 906 mg
Recipe Source: Keep the Beat™ Recipes: Deliciously Healthy Family Meals