Quinoa & Black Bean Salad
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander (dried cilantro seeds)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 medium scallions, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups tomato, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 fresh green chilis (or to taste), minced
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Rinse the quinoa in cold water. Boil water in a saucepan, then add the quinoa. Return to boil, then simmer until the water is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, mix olive oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, chopped cilantro, and scallions in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Combine chopped vegetables with the black beans in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Once quinoa has cooled, combine all ingredients and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1 cup
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 284 mg
Total Fiber 7 g
Protein 9 g
Carbohydrates 34 g
Potassium 619 mg