Classic Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cups macaroni
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups evaporated fat-free milk
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ¼ cups low-fat cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- Nonstick cooking spray, as needed
- Cook macaroni according to directions—but do not add salt to the cooking water. Drain and set aside.
- Spray casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Reheat oven to 350 °F.
- Lightly spray saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Add onions to saucepan and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine macaroni, onions, and the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture into casserole dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: ½ cup
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 120 mg
Total Fiber 1 g
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 29 g
Recipe Source: Heart Healthy Home Cooking African American Style