Hawaiian Huli Huli Chicken
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes (24 cubes) (about 2 large breasts)
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, diced (24 pieces) (or canned pineapple chunks in juice)
- 8 6-inch wooden or metal skewers
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (about 1 clove)
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- Preheat a broiler or grill on medium-high heat.
- Thread three chicken cubes and three pineapple chunks alternately on each skewer.
- Combine ingredients for sauce and mix well; separate into two bowls and set one aside for later.
- Grill skewers for 3–5 minutes on each side. Brush or spoon sauce (from the bowl that wasn’t set aside) onto chicken and pineapple about every other minute. Discard the sauce when done with this step.
- To prevent chicken from drying out, finish cooking skewers in a 350°F oven immediately after grilling (to a minimum internal temperature of 165°F). Using a clean brush or spoon, coat with sauce from the set-aside bowl before serving.
Note: If you use wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before using.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 skewers
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 320 mg
Total Fiber 0 g
Protein 18 g
Carbohydrates 16 g
Potassium 255 mg
Recipe Source: Keep the Beat™ Recipes: Deliciously Healthy Family Meals