Asian-Style Chicken Wraps
- 1 small jalapeño chili pepper, rinsed and split lengthwise— remove seeds and white membrane, and mince (about 1 tablespoon); for less spice, use green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (about 2–3 cloves)
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar or honey
- ½ cup water
- ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (or about 2 limes)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (about 2–3 cloves)
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon lite soy sauce (low-sodium)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 (small) head red leaf lettuce, rinsed, dried, and separated into single leaves large enough to create wrap
- 8 fresh basil leaves, whole, rinsed and dried
- 2 cups bok choy or Asian cabbage, rinsed and shredded
- To prepare the sauce, add all ingredients to a saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat, and let sit in hot saucepan for 3–5 minutes. Chill in refrigerator for about 15 minutes or until cold.
- Prepare the chicken by heating oil in a large wok or sauté pan. Add ginger and garlic, and stir fry briefly until cooked but not browned, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add chicken, and continue to stir fry for 5–8 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, sesame oil (optional), and sesame seeds (optional), and return to a boil. Remove from the heat, and cover with lid to hold warm in hot sauté pan.
- Assemble each wrap: Place one large red lettuce leaf on a plate, then add ½ cup chicken stir-fry, 1 basil leaf, and ¼ cup shredded cabbage and fold together. Serve two wraps with ¼ cup sauce.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 wraps, ¼ cup sauce
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 393 mg
Total Fiber 3 g
Protein 21 g
Carbohydrates 17 g
Potassium 636 mg
Recipe Source: Keep the Beat™ Recipes: Deliciously Healthy Family Meals