Chickadillo (Chicken Picadillo)
- 1 pound chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- ⅓ cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons green olives, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, peppers, and garlic, and sauté until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stirfry for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the chicken has cooked through.
- Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, lemon juice, cumin, bay leaves, water, and raisins to the vegetables and chicken.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve with brown rice and black beans. Garnish with fresh cilantro, capers, and olives.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: ¾ cup
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 46 mg
Sodium 133 mg
Total Fiber 2 g
Protein 18 g
Carbohydrates 13 g
Potassium 380 mg