Buttons & Bows Pasta
- 2 cups dry whole-wheat bowtie pasta (farfalle) (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (about 1 clove)
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen peas and carrots
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 medium lemon, rinsed, for 1 teaspoon zest (use a grater to take a thin layer of skin off the lemon)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add pasta, and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Cook until soft, but not browned.
- Add peas and carrots. Cook gently until the vegetables are heated through.
- In a bowl, combine chicken broth and cornstarch. Mix well. Add to pan with vegetables, and bring to a boil. Simmer gently for 1 minute.
- Add parsley, pasta, lemon zest, and pepper. Toss gently, and cook until the pasta is hot.
- Serve 2 cups of pasta and vegetables per portion.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 cups pasta and vegetables
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 127 mg
Total Fiber 9 g
Protein 13 g
Recipe Source: Keep the Beat™ Recipes: Deliciously Healthy Family Meals