Broccoli & Cheese
- 6 cups fresh broccoli, rinsed and cut into bite-sized florets (or substitute 6 cups frozen broccoli, thawed and warmed, and skip step 1)
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread, toasted and diced (for croutons)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add fresh broccoli, and cook until easily pierced by a fork, about 7–10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, combine evaporated milk and cornstarch. Slowly bring to a boil while stirring often.
- When the milk comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and add the cheese. Continue to stir until the cheese is melted and evenly mixed.
- Add the Worcestershire and hot sauces, and stir.
- Pour cheese over hot broccoli.
- Sprinkle whole-wheat croutons over broccoli and cheese mixture, and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1½ cup broccoli, ¼ cup sauce, 1 tablespoon croutons
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 239 mg
Total Fiber 4 g
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 19 g
Potassium 601 mg
Recipe Source: Keep the Beat™ Recipes: Deliciously Healthy Family Meals