Primary Care Partnerships to Prevent Heart Disease in Women
Christiana Care Health System: HeartTruthDelaware.org: Web site Success
Provider Challenge: Busy primary care providers (PCPs) need a variety of resources at their fingertips to assist them in the prevention, identification, and management of cardiovascular disease. It was difficult to find a single resource that includes up-to-date, evidenced-based guidelines, as well as practical clinical tools. Local, community-based resources to address lifestyle interventions such as nutrition and physical activity were limited. PCPs also lacked access to high quality, evidenced-based materials addressing cardiovascular disease prevention.
System Challenge: Delaware needed a coordinated, comprehensive effort to disseminate evidenced based guidelines. In addition, a vehicle was needed to improve communication among clinical providers, community based programs, Sate agencies, and local organizations to improve cardiovascular disease (CVD) prevention and treatment within the State.
- Used a one-stop-shopping strategy to address the needs of busy providers
- Developed a website that was easy to navigate and included clear, current, evidence-based guidelines, provider tools, organized referral resources and high quality patient education materials
- Posted a schedule of professional education events and trainings, videos, and online CME presentations to the Web site
Unbranded for Unity:
- As the lead on The Heart Truth Delaware, Christiana Care Health System did not use the institution's branding on the
- Developed a website that features information from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and the
HHS Office on Women's Health, which included links to The Heart Truth Delaware program partners to unify efforts toward shared goals
- The decision to create an unbranded website proved to be an effective strategy to fully engage community partners and provided a neutral space
- The website served as a valuable tool to unify The Heart Truth Delaware program partners.
In March 2009, the website was launched, welcoming providers from institutions across the State. The following promotional tactics were used:
- Created links to several clinical provider portals, blogs, community partners
and professional education websites
- Established direct links to the physician and nursing portals of the largest medical institution in Delaware which resulted in the greatest increase in site traffic (August 2009)
- Directed website traffic through the use of "tags" such as "cardiovascular disease women," "AHA guidelines," etc
- Provided on-site, individual instruction to PCPs and medical residents on The Heart Truth tools through
website tours. This activity, called "academic office detailing", provided a similar service to that of a pharmaceutical representative
- Provided website tours to providers at exhibit table at clinical education meetings, conferences, and at the conclusion of The Heart Truth professional education presentations
- E-mailed website updates to website registrants, steering committee members, and other program partners
HeartTruthDelaware.org Views Per Month, First Year
The launch and announcement of the website/portal provided access to clinical and educational tools and materials among PCPs. The announcement and PCP office detailing also increased Web site traffic.
The primary outcome of HeartTruthDelaware.org tactics was wider distribution of guidelines and The Heart Truth materials. This was shown by greater traffic to the updated guidelines and tools, patient education materials and community resource guide.
The interactive strategies were successful in addressing several PCPs issues as evidenced by the increased provider traffic on the program website. While the website met preliminary goals, further improvements were needed to meet other provider and system challenges.
Last Updated: July 2014