Virginia's Snack Choices
Download Virginia's Snack Choices (116k, 3 pages) handout.
Virginia and her family like to have snacks when they watch television. Recently, Virginia has noticed that her family members have gained weight.
Use the food label information to choose some tasty snacks that are lower in calories. What should Virginia serve?
Write your choice for each pair. Then write the number of calories saved by this choice.
- Potato Chips (serving size 28g, 160 calories) or microwave popcorn (light butter) (serving size 11g, 20 calories)
- Apple (serving size 154 grams, 80 calories) or shortbread cookies (serving size 29 grams, 150 calories)
- Whole milk (serving size 1 cup, 150 calories) or fat-free milk (serving size 1 cup, 90 calories)
- Chocolate ice cream (serving size ½ cup, 170 calories) or popsicle (serving size 52ml, 45 calories)
- Salsa (serving size 2 tablespoons, 15 calories) or jalepeño cheese dip (serving size 2 tablespoons, 40 calories)
Back to Session 6
Information on this page is taken from the English print version of “Your Heart, Your Life, A Community Health Worker's Manual.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 08-3674, Originally Printed 1999, Revised May 2008.
Last Updated March 2012