Chicken Stew Recipe
Download Chicken Stew Recipe (42k) handout.
- 8 pieces of chicken, breasts or legs
- 1 cup of water
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup of celery, finely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Remove the skin and any extra fat from the chicken, and throw it away. In a large skillet, combine chicken, water, garlic, onion, salt (as little as possible), pepper, tomatoes, and parsley. Tightly cover, and cook over low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add celery, potatoes, carrots, and bay leaves, and continue to cook for 15 more minutes or until chicken and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves before serving
Yield: 8 servings. Serving size: 1 piece of chicken, each serving provides:
- Calories: 206
- Total fat: 6 g
- Saturated fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 75 mg
- Sodium: 489 mg
- Total fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 28 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Potassium: 493 g
Quick Fact - This recipe is lower in saturated fat and cholesterol because:
- The dish is made with chicken without the skin, and extra fat is removed.
- No fat is added. The dish is flavored with vegetables and seasonings, and it is cooked slowly in water (moist heat) instead of fat.
Back to Session 5
Information on this page is taken from the English print version of “Your Heart, Your Life, A Community Health Worker's Manual.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 08-3674, Originally Printed 1999, Revised May 2008.
Last Updated March 2012