Virginia's Breakfast Choices
Download Virginia's Breakfast Choices (104k, 4 pages) handout.
Virginia has little time in the morning to prepare breakfast. She often has a cinnamon roll or a doughnut.
Help Virginia select some breakfast foods that are lower in saturated fat than her usual choices. Which should she choose?
- Cinnamon roll (serving size 60g, saturated fat 9g) or Plain bagel (serving size 75g, saturated fat 0g)
- Doughnut (serving size 54g, saturated fat 6g) or English muffin (serving size 57g, saturated fat 0g)
- Fruit danish (serving size 57g, saturated fat 1.5g) or Banana (serving size 126g, saturated fat 0g)
- Butter (serving size 14g, saturated fat 8g) or Light margarine (soft tub) (serving size 14g, saturated fat 1.5g)
- Chorizo (serving size 60g, saturated fat 9g) or lean pork (serving size 2 ounce, saturated fat 1g)
- Refried beans (serving size ½ cup, saturated fat 3g) or cooked beans (serving size ½ cup, saturated fat 0g)
- Low-fat cheddar cheese (serving size 1 ounce, saturated fat 1g) or regular cheddar cheese (serving size 1 ounce, saturated fat 7g)
Back to Session 5
Information on this page is taken from the English print version of “Your Heart, Your Life, A Community Health Worker's Manual.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 08-3674, Originally Printed 1999, Revised May 2008.
Last Updated March 2012