Getting Started With Physical Activity
Download Getting Started With Physical Activity (34k) handout.
It's very important to know when to talk with a doctor before starting a physical activity program.
In the list below, check which people should see a doctor before they begin a physical activity program.
- Carlos is 65 years old and had a heart attack 10 years ago, but he is fully recovered.
- Maria is 32 years old and had a healthy baby 8 months ago.
- Arturo is 38 years old and has diabetes, but he controls his condition very well with medication.
- Carmen is 35 years old and wants to start being more physically active to lower her high blood pressure and help her to quit smoking.
- Gloria is 27 years old and in good health, and she wants to start running.
- Hector is 57 years old and broke his leg 2 years ago, but it healed very well. He walks every day but wants to start jogging.
Back to Session 3
Information on this page is taken from the English print version of “Your Heart, Your Life, A Community Health Worker's Manual.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 08-3674, Originally Printed 1999, Revised May 2008.
Last Updated March 2012