Reduced-Fat Adobong Manok (Marinated Chicken) Recipe
Download Reduced-Fat Adobong Manok (Marinated Chicken) Recipe (269k) handout.
This is a delicious low-cost recipe with low-sodium ingredients. Keep this recipe lower in fat by not adding meat fat (lard) or other fat.
- 1 pound (½ kg) chicken breasts, no skin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons black pepper, ground
- 1 bay leaf, broken in half
- 1 medium red tomato (optional)
- Combine olive oil, garlic, and onion in a frying pan. Add chicken, and saute together until chicken has browned.
- Add light soy sauce, vinegar, paprika, black pepper, and bay leaves, and stir.
- Bring to a boil. Simmer for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove the chicken, and save the liquid in the pot. Arrange the chicken on a broiler pan. Broil until the chicken has nicely browned. Remove from the broiler, and place it in a serving bowl.
- Continue to boil the sauce in the uncovered pan until volume is reduced to about half and the sauce is thick.
- Pour the thickened sauce over broiled adobo (chicken), and garnish with red tomatoes. Garnish adobong with red tomatoes, if desired.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Serving size: ½ cup
- Calories: 190 kcal
- Total fat: 5 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 70 mg
- Sodium: 330 mg
- Protein: 26 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Potassium: 370 g
This recipe is lower in saturated fat and cholesterol because:
- The dish is made using chicken without the skin, and any extra fat is removed.
- Only 1 teaspoon of unsaturated fat (olive oil) is added.
- The dish is flavored with vegetables and herbs and is boiled and broiled slowly in moist heat instead of fat.
Source: Filipino-American Nutrition and Fitness Teachers Guide, Kalusugan Community Services, San Diego, CA.
Back to Session 5
Information on this page is taken from the English print version of “Healthy Heart, Healthy Family: A Community Health Worker's Manual.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NIH Publication No. 08-3674, Originally Printed 1999, Revised May 2008.
Last Updated March 2012