436. Wadden TA, Sternberg JA, Letizia KA, Stunkard AJ, Foster GD. Treatment of obesity by very low calorie diet, behavior therapy, and their combination: a five-year perspective. Int J Obes. 1989;13 (Suppl 2):39-46.
437. Wadden TA, Foster GD, Letizia KA. One-year behavioral treatment of obesity: comparison of moderate and severe caloric restriction and the effects of weight maintenance therapy. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1994;62:165-171.
438. Wadden TA, Foster GD, Letizia KA, Mullen JL. Long-term effects of dieting on resting metabolic rate in obese outpatients. JAMA. 1990;264:707-711.
439. Wing RR, Blair EH, Bononi P, Marcus MD, Watanabe R, Bergman RN. Caloric restriction per se is a significant factor in improvements in glycemic control and insulin sensitivity during weight loss in obese NIDDM patients. Diabetes Care. 1994;17:30-36.
440. de Bont AJ, Baker IA, St. Leger AS, et al. A randomised controlled trial of the effect of low-fat diet advice on dietary response in insulin-independent diabetic women. Diabetologia. 1981;21:529-533.
441. Jeffery RW, Hellerstedt WL, French SA, Baxter JE. A randomized trial of counseling for fat restriction versus calorie restriction in the treatment of obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1995;19:132-137.
442. Schlundt DG, Hill JO, Pope-Cordle J, Arnold D, Virts KL, Katahn M. Randomized evaluation of a low fat ad libitum carbohydrate diet for weight reduction. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1993;17:623-629.
443. Shah M, McGovern P, French S, Baxter J. Comparison of a low-fat, ad libitum complex-carbohydrate diet with a low-energy diet in moderately obese women. Am J Clin Nutr. 1994;59:980-984.
444. Sheppard L, Kristal AR, Kushi LH. Weight loss in women participating in a randomized trial of low-fat diets. Am J Clin Nutr. 1991;54:821-828.
445. Bertram SR, Venter I, Stewart RI. Weight loss in obese women--exercise vs. dietary education. S Afr Med J. 1990;78:15-18.
446. Verity LS, Ismail AH. Effects of exercise on cardiovascular disease risk in women with NIDDM. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 1989;6:27-35.
447. King AC, Haskell WL, Young DR, Oka RK, Stefanick ML. Long-term effects of varying intensities and formats of physical activity on participation rates, fitness, and lipoproteins in men and women aged 50 to 65 years. Circulation. 1995;91:2596-2604.
448. Gordon NF, Scott CB, Levine BD. Comparison of single versus multiple lifestyle interventions: are the antihypertensive effects of exercise training and diet-induced weight loss additive? Am J Cardiol. 1997;79:763-767.
449. Garrow JS, Summerbell CD. Meta-analysis: effect of exercise, with or without dieting, on the body composition of overweight subjects. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1995;49:1-10.
450. Miller WC, Lindeman AK, Wallace J, Niederpruem M. Diet composition, energy intake, and exercise in relation to body fat in men and women. Am J Clin Nutr. 1990; 52:426-430.
452. Klesges RC, Eck LH, Isbell TR, Fulliton W, Hanson CL. Physical activity, body composition, and blood pressure: a multi-method approach. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1991;23:759-765.
453. Tremblay A, Despres JP, Leblanc C, et al. Effect of intensity of physical activity on body fatness and fat distribution. Am J Clin Nutr. 1990;51:153-157.
454. French SA, Jeffery RW, Forster JL, McGovern PG, Kelder SH, Baxter JE. Predictors of weight change over two years among a population of working adults: the Healthy Worker Project. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1994;18:145-154.
455. Williams PT. Evidence for the incompatibility of age-neutral overweight and age-neutral physical activity standards from runners. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997;65:1391-1396.
456. Ewbank PP, Darga LL, Lucas CP. Physical activity as a predictor of weight maintenance in previously obese subjects. Obes Res. 1995;3:257-263.
457. Klesges RC, Klesges LM, Haddock CK, Eck LH. A longitudinal analysis of the impact of dietary intake and physical activity on weight change in adults. Am J Clin Nutr. 1992;55:818-822.
458. Ching PL, Willett WC, Rimm EB, Colditz GA, Gortmaker SL, Stampfer MJ. Activity level and risk of overweight in male health professionals. Am J Public Health. 1996;86:25-30.
459. Williamson DF, Madans J, Anda RF, Kleinman JC, Kahn HS, Byers T. Recreational physical activity and ten-year weight change in a US national cohort. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1993;17:279-286.
460. Kawachi I, Troisi RJ, Rotnitzky AG, Coakley EH, Colditz GA. Can physical activity minimize weight gain in women after smoking cessation? Am J Public Health. 1996;86:999-1004.
461. Bild DE, Sholinsky P, Smith DE, Lewis CE, Hardin JM, Burke GL. Correlates and predictors of weight loss in young adults: the CARDIA study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1996;20:47-55.
462. Kayman S, Bruvold W, Stern JS. Maintenance and relapse after weight loss in women: behavioral aspects. Am J Clin Nutr. 1990;52:800-807.
463. Grodstein F, Levine R, Troy L, Spencer T, Colditz GA, Stampfer MJ. Three-year follow-up of participants in a commercial weight loss program. Can you keep it off? Arch Intern Med. 1996;156:1302-1306.
464. Seidell JC. Environmental influences on regional fat distribution. Int J Obes.1991;15:31-35.
465. Kaye SA, Folsom AR, Prineas RJ, Potter JD, Gapstur SM. The association of body fat distribution with lifestyle and reproductive factors in a population study of post-menopausal women. Int J Obes. 1990;14:583-591.
466. Slattery ML, McDonald A, Bild DE, et al. Associations of body fat and its distribution with dietary intake, physical activity, alcohol, and smoking in blacks and whites. Am J Clin Nutr. 1992;55:943-949.
467. Troisi RJ, Heinold JW, Vokonas PS, Weiss ST. Cigarette smoking, dietary intake, and physical activity: effects on body fat distribution--the Normative Aging Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 1991;53:1104-1111.
468. Wing RR, Matthews KA, Kuller LH, Meilahn EN, Plantinga P. Waist-to-hip ratio in middle-aged women. Associations with behavioral and psychological factors and with changes in cardiovascular risk factors. Arterioscler Throm. 1991;11:1250-1257.
469. Andersen RE, Wadden TA, Bartlett SJ, Vogt RA, Weinstock RS. Relation of weight loss to changes in serum lipids and lipoproteins in obese women. Am J Clin Nutr. 1995;62:350-357.
470. Blonk MC, Jacobs MA, Biesheuvel EH, Weeda-Mannak WL, Heine RJ. Influences on weight loss in type 2 diabetic patients: little long-term benefit from group behaviour therapy and exercise training. Diabet Med. 1994;11:449-457.
471. Neumark-Sztainer D, Kaufmann NA, Berry EM. Physical activity within a community-based weight control program: program evaluation and predictors of success. Public Health Rev. 1995;23:237-251.
472. Sweeney ME, Hill JO, Heller PA, Baney R, DiGirolamo M. Severe vs moderate energy restriction with and without exercise in the treatment of obesity: efficiency of weight loss. Am J Clin Nutr. 1993;57:127-134.
473. Wing RR, Epstein LH, Paternostro-Bayles M, Kriska A, Nowalk MP, Gooding W. Exercise in a behavioural weight control programme for obese patients with Type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes. Diabetologia. 1988;31:902-909.
474. Kaplan RM, Hartwell SL, Wilson DK, Wallace JP. Effects of diet and exercise interventions on control and quality of life in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Gen Intern Med. 1987;2:220-228.
475. Leighton RF, Repka FJ, Birk TJ, et al. The Toledo Exercise and Diet Study. Results at 26 weeks. Arch Intern Med. 1990;150:1016- 1020.
476. Long CG, Simpson CM, Allott EA. Psychological and dietetic counselling combined in the treatment of obesity: a comparative study in a hospital outpatient clinic. Hum Nutr Appl Nutr. 1983;37:94-102.
477. Wadden TA, Stunkard AJ. Controlled trial of very low calorie diet, behavior therapy, and their combination in the treatment of obesity. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1986; 54:482-488.
478. Craighead LW, Stunkard AJ, O'Brien RM. Behavior therapy and pharmacotherapy for obesity. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1981;38:763-768.
479. Bennett GA. An evaluation of self-instructional training in the treatment of obesity. Addict Behav. 1986;11:125-134.
480. Bennett GA. Cognitive rehearsal in the treatment of obesity: a comparison against cue avoidance and social pressure. Addict Behav. 1986;11:225-237.
482. Glasgow RE, Toobert DJ, Hampson SE, Brown JE, Lewinsohn PM, Donnelly J. Improving self-care among older patients with type II diabetes: the Sixty Something... Study. Patient Educ Couns. 1992;19:61-74.
483. Jeffery RW, Hellerstedt WL, Schmid TL. Correspondence programs for smoking cessation and weight control: a comparison of two strategies in the Minnesota Heart Health Program. Health Psychol. 1990;9:585-598.
484. Lovibond SH, Birrell PC, Langeluddecke P. Changing coronary heart disease risk-factor status: the effects of three behavioral programs. J Behav Med. 1986;9:415-437.
485. Muchmore DB, Springer J, Miller M. Self-monitoring of blood glucose in overweight type 2 diabetic patients. Acta Diabetol. 1994;31:215-219.
486. Perri MG, Nezu AM, Patti ET, McCann KL. Effect of length of treatment on weight loss. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1989;57:450-452.
487. Perri MG, McAllister DA, Gange JJ, Jordan RC, McAdoo G, Nezu AM. Effects of four maintenance programs on the long-term management of obesity. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1988;56:529-534.
488. Rosenthal B, Allen GJ, Winter C. Husband involvement in the behavioral treatment of overweight women: initial effects and long-term follow-up. Int J Obes. 1980;4:165-173.
489. Smith DE, Heckemeyer CM, Kratt PP, Mason DA. Motivational interviewing to improve adherence to a behavioral weight-control program for older obese women with NIDDM. A pilot study. Diabetes Care. 1997;20:52-54.
490. Uusitupa M, Laitinen J, Siitonen O, Vanninen E, Pyorala K. The maintenance of improved metabolic control after intensified diet therapy in recent type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 1993;19:227-238.
491. Wadden TA, Berkowitz RI, Vogt RA, Steen SN, Stunkard AJ, Foster GD. Lifestyle modification in the pharmacologic treatment of obesity: a pilot investigation of a potential primary care approach. Obes Res. 1997;5:218-226.
492. Wing RR, Marcus MD, Epstein LH, Jawad A. A "family-based" approach to the treatment of obese Type II diabetic patients. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1991;59:156-162.
493. Wing RR, Epstein LH, Nowalk MP, Scott N, Koeske R, Hagg S. Does self-monitoring of blood glucose levels improve dietary compliance for obese patients with Type II diabetes? Am J Med. 1986;81:830-836.
494. Eldredge KL, Agras WS, Arnow B, et al. The effects of extending cognitive-behavioral therapy for binge eating disorder among initial treatment nonresponders. Int J Eat Disord. 1997;21:347-352.
495. Agras WS, Berkowitz RI, Arnow BA, et al. Maintenance following a very-low-calorie diet. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1996;64:610-613.
496. Sobal J, Devin C. Social aspects of obesity. In: Dalton S, ed. Overweight and Weight Management: The Health Professional's Guide to Understanding and Practice. Gaithersburg, MD: Aspen Publishers; 1997:312-331.
497. Brown PJ; Cultural perspectives on the etiology and treatment of obesity. In: Stunkard AJ, Wadden TA, eds. Obesity Theory and Therapy. New York: Raven Press; 1993:179-195.
498. Foster GD, Wadden TA, Vogt RA. Resting energy expenditure in obese African American and Caucasian women. Obes Res. 1997;5:1-8.
499. Yanovski SZ, Reynolds JC, Boyle AJ, Yanovski JA. Resting metabolic rate in African-American and Caucasian girls. Obes Res. 1997;5:321-325.
500. Albu JB, Murphy L, Frager DH, Johnson JA, Pi-Sunyer FX. Visceral fat and race-dependent health risks in obese nondiabetic premenopausal women. Diabetes. 1997;46:456-462.
501. Allison DB, Edlen-Nezin L, Clay-Williams G. Obesity among African American women: prevalence, consequences, causes, and developing research. Women's Health. 1997;3:243-274.
502. Andersson B, Seidell J, Terning K, Bjorntorp P. Influence of menopause on dietary treatment of obesity. J Intern Med. 1990;227:173-181.
503. Kumanyika SK, Obarzanek E, Stevens VJ, Hebert PR, Whelton PK. Weight-loss experience of black and white participants in NHLBI-sponsored clinical trials. Am J Clin Nutr. 1991;53:1631S-1638S.
504. Wing RR, Anglin K. Effectiveness of a behavioral weight control program for blacks and whites with NIDDM. Diabetes Care. 1996;19:409-413.
505. Wylie-Rosett J, Wassertheil-Smoller S, Blaufox MD, et al. Trial of antihypertensive intervention and management: greater efficacy with weight reduction than with a sodium-potassium intervention. J Am Diet Assoc. 1993;93:408-415.
506. Andersen T, Astrup A, Quaade F. Dexfenfluramine as adjuvant to a low-calorie formula diet in the treatment of obesity: a randomized clinical trial. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1992;16:35-40.
507. Guy-Grand B, Apfelbaum M, Crepaldi G, Gries A, Lefebvre P, Turner P. International trial of long-term dexfenfluramine in obesity. Lancet. 1989;2:1142-1145.
508. Finer N. Body weight evolution during dexfenfluramine treatment after initial weight control. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1992;16 (Suppl 3):S25-S29.
509. Williams R.A., Foulsham BM; Weight reduction in osteoarthritis using phentermine. Practitioner. 1981; 225:231-232.
510. Bray GA, Ryan DH, Gordon D, Heidingsfelder S, Cerise F, Wilson K. A double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trial of sibutramine. Obes Res. 1996;4:263-270.
511. Weintraub M, Ginsberg G, Stein EC, et al. Phenylpropanolamine OROS (Acutrim) vs. placebo in combination with caloric restriction and physician-managed behavior modification. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1986;39:501-509.
512. Schteingart DE. Effectiveness of phenylpropanolamine in the management of moderate obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1992;16:487-493.
513. Jones SP, Smith IG, Kelly F, Gray JA. Long term weight loss with sibutramine. Int J Obes. 1995;19 (Suppl 2):41[abstract 071].
514. Weintraub M, Sundaresan PR, Schuster B, et al. Long-term weight control study. IV (weeks 156 to 190). The second double-blind phase. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1992;51:608-614.
515. Andersen T, Backer OG, Stokholm KH, Quaade F. Randomized trial of diet and gastroplasty compared with diet alone in morbid obesity. N Engl J Med. 1984;310:352-356.
516. Andersen T, Backer OG, Astrup A, Quaade F. Horizontal or vertical banded gastroplasty after pretreatment with very-low-calorie formula diet: a randomized trial. Int J Obes. 1987;11:295-304.
517. Brolin RE, Kenler HA, Gorman JH, Cody RP. Long-limb gastric bypass in the super-obese, a prospective randomized study. Ann Surg. 1992;215:387-395.
518. Naslund I. The size of the gastric outlet and the outcome of surgery for obesity. Acta Chir Scand. 1986;152:205-210.
519. Hall JC, Watts JM, O'Brien PE, et al. Gastric surgery for morbid obesity. The Adelaide Study. Ann Surg. 1990;211:419-427.
520. Laws HL, Piantadosi S. Superior gastric reduction procedure for morbid obesity: a prospective, randomized trial. Ann Surg. 1981;193:334-340.
521. Lechner GW, Callender AK. Subtotal gastric exclusion and gastric partitioning: a randomized prospective comparison of one hundred patients. Surgery. 1981;90:637-644.
522. Pories WJ, Flickinger EG, Meelheim D, Van Rij AM, Thomas FT. The effectiveness of gastric bypass over gastric partition in morbid obesity: consequence of distal gastric and duodenal exclusion. Ann Surg. 1982;196:389-399.
523. Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity.National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference Statement. Am J Clin Nutr. 1992;55:615S-619S.
524. Busetto L, Perini P, Giantin V, et al. Relationship between energy expenditure and visceral fat accumulation in obese women submitted to adjustable silicone gastric banding (ASGB). Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1995;19:227-233.
525. Zumoff B, Strain GW, Miller LK, et al. Plasma free and non-sex-hormone-binding-globulin-bound testosterone are decreased in obese men in proportion to their degree of obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1990;71:929-931.
526. Gallagher D, Visser M, Sepulveda D, Pierson RN, Harris T, Heymsfield SB. How useful is body mass index for comparison of body fatness across age, sex, and ethnic groups? Am J Epidemiol. 1996;143:228-239.
527. Heymsfield SB, Allison DB, Heshka S, Pierson RN Jr. Assessment of human body composition. In: Allison DB, ed. Handbook of Assessment Methods for Eating Behavior and Weight Related Problems: Measures, Theory, and Research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications; 1995:515-560.
528. Matz R. Calculating body mass index. Ann Intern Med. 1993;118:232.
529. Abate N, Garg A, Peshock RM, Stray-Gundersen J, Adams-Huet B, Grundy SM. Relationship of generalized and regional adiposity to insulin sensitivity in men with NIDDM. Diabetes. 1996;45:1684-1693.
530. Lean ME, Han TS, Morrison CE. Waist circumference as a measure for indicating need for weight management. BMJ. 1995;311:158-161.
531. Sjostrom L, Kvist H, Cederblad A, Tylen U. Determination of total adipose tissue and body fat in women by computed tomography, 40K, and tritium. Am J Physiol. 1986;250:E736-E745.
532. Jensen MD, Kanaley JA, Reed JE, Sheedy PF. Measurement of abdominal and visceral fat with computed tomography and dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry. Am J Clin Nutr. 1995;61:274-278.
533. Despres JP, Moorjani S, Ferland M, et al. Adipose tissue distribution and plasma lipoprotein levels in obese women. Importance of intra-abdominal fat. Arteriosclerosis. 1989;9:203-210.
534. Pouliot MC, Despres JP, Nadeau A, et al. Visceral obesity in men. Associations with glucose tolerance, plasma insulin, and lipoprotein levels. Diabetes. 1992;41:826-834.
535. Abate N, Garg A, Peshock RM, Stray-Gundersen J, Grundy SM. Relationships of generalized and regional adiposity to insulin sensitivity in men. J Clin Investigation. 1995;96:88-98.
536. Goodpaster BH, Thaete FL, Thaete JA, Simoneau, Kelley DE. Subcutaneous abdominal fat and thigh muscle composition predict insulin sensitivity independently of visceral fat. Diabetes. 1997;46:1579-1585.
537. Lemieux S, Prud'homme D, Bouchard C, Tremblay A, Despres J. A single threshold value of waist girth identifies normal-weight and overweight subjects with excess visceral adipose tissue. Am J Clin Nutr. 1996;64:685-693.
538. National Center for Health Statistics. NHANES III Anthropometric Procedures Video. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office; 1996. Stock Number 017-022-01335-5.
539. Gordon T, Doyle JT. Weight and mortality in men: the Albany Study. Int J Epidemiol. 1988;17:77-81.
540. Hamm P, Shekelle RB, Stamler J. Large fluctuations in body weight during young adulthood and 25-year risk of coronary death in men. Am J Epidemiol. 1989;129:312-318.
542. Norgan NG, Jones PR. The effect of standardising the body mass index for relative sitting height. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1995;19:206-208.
543. Conway JM, Yanovski SZ, Avila NA, Hubbard VS. Visceral adipose tissue differences in black and white women. Am J Clin Nutr. 1995;61:765-771.
544. Potts J, Simmons D. Sex and ethnic group differences in fat distribution in young United Kingdom South Asians and Europids. J Clin Epidemiol. 1994;47:837-841.
545. Joint National Committee on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure. The Sixth Report of the Joint National Committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure (JNC VI). Arch Intern Med. 1997;157:2413-2446.
546. American Diabetes Association. ADA Clinical Practice Recommendations 1998. Diabetes Care. 1998;21(Suppl1):S1-S93.
547. Fiore MC, Bailey WC, Cohen SJ. Smoking Cessation. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, PHS, Agency for Health Care Policy and Research. Clinical Practice Guidelines No. 18. 1996.
548. Paffenbarger RS Jr, Hyde RT, Wing AL, Lee IM, Jung DL, Kampert JB. The association of changes in physical-activity level and other lifestyle characteristics with mortality among men. N Engl J Med. 1993;328:538-545.
549. NIH Consensus Conference. Triglyceride, high-density lipoprotein, and coronary heart disease. NIH Consensus Development Panel on Triglyceride, High-Density Lipoprotein, and Coronary Heart Disease. JAMA. 1993;269:505-510.
550. Wadden TA, Wingate BJ. Behavioral assessment and treatment of markedly obese patients. In: Wadden TA, VanItallie TB, eds. Treatment of the Seriously Obese Patient. New York: Guilford Press; 1992:290-330.
551. Stunkard AJ. Talking with patients. In: Stunkard AJ, Wadden TA, eds. Obesity Theory and Therapy. New York: Raven Press; 1993:355-363.
552. Wadden TA, Wingate BJ. Compassionate treatment of the obese individual. In: Brownell KD, Fairburn CG, eds. Eating Disorders and Obesity. New York: Basic Books; 1995:564-571.
553. Foster GD, Wadden TA, Vogt RA, Brewer G. What is a reasonable weight loss? Patients' expectations and evaluations of obesity treatment outcome. J Consult Clinl Psychol. 1997;65:79-85.
554. Williamson DF, Serdula MK, Anada RF, Levy A, Byers T. Weight loss attempts in adults: goals, duration, and rate of weight loss. Am J Pub Health. 1992;82:1251-1257.
555. Wing RR, Blair E, Marcus M, Epstein LHH, Harvey J. Year-long weight loss treatment for obese patients with type II diabetes: does including an intermittent very-low-calorie diet improve outcome? Am J Med. 1994;97:354-362.
557. Yang M, VanItallie TB. Effect of energy restriction on body composition and nitrogen balance in obese individuals. In: Wadden TA, VanItallie TB, eds. Treatment of the Seriously Obese Patient. New York: Guilford Press; 1992:83-106.
558. Very low-calorie diets. National Task Force on the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity, National Institutes of Health. JAMA. 1993;270:967-974.
559. Tremblay A, Buemann B, Theriault G, Bouchard C. Body fatness in active individuals reporting low lipid and alcohol intake. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1995;49:824-831.
560. Gruchow HW, Sobocinski KA, Barboriak JJ, Scheller JG. Alcohol consumption, nutrient intake and relative body weight among US adults. Am J Clin Nutr. 1985;42:289-295.
561. de Castro JM, Orozco S. Moderate alcohol intake and spontaneous eating patterns of humans: evidence of unregulated supplementation. Am J Clin Nutr. 1990;52:246-253.
562. Veenstra J, Schenkel JA, van Erp-Baart AM, et al. Alcohol consumption in relation to food intake and smoking habits in the Dutch National Food Consumption Survey. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1993;47:482-489.
563. Tremblay A, Wouters E, Wenker M, St-Pierre S, Bouchard C, Despres JP. Alcohol and a high-fat diet: a combination favoring overfeeding. Am J Clin Nutr. 1995;62:639-644.
564. Tremblay A, St-Pierre S. The hyperphagic effect of a high-fat diet and alcohol intake persists after control for energy density. Am J Clin Nutr. 1996;63:479-482.
565. Poppitt SD, Eckhardt JW, McGonagle J, Murgatroyd PR, Prentice AM. Short-term effects of alcohol consumption on appetite and energy intake. Physiol Behav. 1996;60:1063-1070.
566. Foltin RW, Kelly TH, Fischman MW. Ethanol as an energy source in humans: comparison with dextrose-containing beverages. Appetite. 1993;20:95-110.
567. Butrum RR, Clifford CK, Lanza E. NCI dietary guidelines: rationale. Am J Clin Nutr. 1988;48(3 Suppl):888-895.
568. United States. Public Health Service. Office of the Surgeon General. Nutrition and Health: A Report of the Surgeon General. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office; 1988:192.
569. NIH Consensus Conference. Optimal calcium intake. NIH Consensus Development Panel on Optimal Calcium Intake. JAMA. 1994;272:1942-1948.
570. Wadden TA, Letizia KA. Predictors of attrition and weight loss in patients treated by moderate and severe caloric restriction. In: Wadden TA, VanItallie TB, eds. Treatment of the Seriously Obese Patient. New York: Guilford Press; 1992:383-410.
572. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.Surgeon General's Report on Physical Activity and Health. Atlanta, GA: CDC; 1996.
573. Blair SN, Kampert JB, Kohl HW III, et al. Influences of cardiorespiratory fitness and other precursors on cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality in men and women. JAMA. 1996;276:205-210.
574. Kohl HW, Gordon NF, Villegas JA, Blair SN. Cardiorespiratory fitness, glycemic status, and mortality risk in men. Diabetes Care. 1992;15:184-192.
575. Tremblay A, Nadeau A, Despres JP, St-Jean L, Theriault G, Bouchard C. Long-term exercise training with constant energy intake. 2: effect on glucose metabolism and resting energy expenditure. Int J Obes. 1990;14:75-84.
576. Wing RR, Marcus MD, Blair EH, Burton LR. Psychological responses of obese Type II diabetic subjects to very low-calorie diet. Diabetes Care. 1991;14:596-599.
577. Pate RR, Pratt M, Blair SN, et al. Physical activity and public health. A recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American College of Sports Medicine. JAMA. 1995;273:402-407.
578. NIH Consensus Conference. Physical Activity and Cardiovascular Health. JAMA. 1996;276:241-246.
579. Wadden TA, Foster GD. Behavioral assessment and treatment of markedly obese patients. In: Wadden TA, VanItallie TB, eds. Treatment of the Seriously Obese Patient. New York: Guilford Press; 1992:290-330.
580. Wadden TA. The treatment of obesity. In:Stunkard AJ, Wadden TA, eds. Obesity: Theory and Therapy. New York: Raven Press; 1993:197-217.
581. Wilson GT, Fairborn CG. Treatments of eating disorders. In: Nathan PE, Gorman JM, eds. A Guide to Treatments That Work. New York: Oxford University Press; 1997:501-530.
582. Schlundt DG, Hill JO, Pope-Cordle J, Arnold D, Virts KL, Katahn M. Randomized evaluation of a low fat ad libitum carbohydrate diet for weight reduction. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1993;17:623-629.
583. Tremblay A, Almeras N, Boer J, Kranenbarg EK, Despres JP. Diet composition and postexercise energy balance. Am JClin Nutr. 1994;59:975-979.
584. King NA, Blundell JE. High-fat foods overcome the energy expenditure induced by high-intensity cycling or running. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1995;49:114-123.
585. Methods for voluntary weight loss and control. NIH Technology Assessment Conference Panel. Ann Intern Med. 1992;116:942-949.
587. Brenot F, Herve P, Petitpretz P, Parent F, Duroux P, Simonneau G. Primary pulmonary hypertension and fenfluramine use. Br Heart J. 1993;70:537-541.
588. Voelker R. Obesity drug renews toxicity debate. JAMA. 1994;272:1087-1088.
589. Food and Drug Administration. Draft Guidance Clinical Evaluation of Weight Control Drug. Rockville, MD: FDA; 1996.
590. Bray GA. Use and abuse of appetite-suppressant drugs in the treatment of obesity. Ann Intern Med. 1993;119:707-713.
591. Galloway SM, Farquhar DL, Munro JF. The current status of antiobesity drugs. Postgrad Med J. 1984;60(Suppl 3):19-26.
592. Long-term pharmacotherapy in the management of obesity. National Task Force on the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity. JAMA. 1996;276:1907-1915.
593. Weintraub M, Bray GA. Drug treatment of obesity. Med Clin North Am. 1989;73:237-249.
594. MacDonald KG Jr, Long SD, Swanson MS, et al. The gastric bypass operation reduces the progression and mortality of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Gastrointest Surg. 1997;1:213-220.
595. Pories WJ, Swanson MS, MacDonald KG Jr, et al. Who would have thought it? An operation proves to be the most effective therapy for adult-onset diabetes mellitus. Ann Surg. 1995;222:339-350; discussion 350-352.
596. Harris TB, Savage PJ, Tell GS, Haan M, Kumanyika S, Lynch JC. Carrying the burden of cardiovascular risk in old age: associations of weight and weight change with prevalent cardiovascular disease, risk factors, and health status in the Cardiovascular Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997;66:837-844.
597. Tayback M, Kumanyika S, Chee E. Body weight as a risk factor in the elderly. Arch Intern Med. 1990; 150:1065-1072.
598. Galanos AN, Pieper CF, Cornoni-Huntley JC, Bales CW, Fillenbaum GG. Nutrition and function: is there a relationship between body mass index and the functional capabilities of community-dwelling elderly? J Am Geriatr Soc. 1994;42:368-373.
599. Keil JE, Gazes PC, Sutherland SE, Rust PF, Branch LG, Tyroler HA. Predictors of physical disability in elderly blacks and whites of the Charleston Heart Study. J Clin Epidemiol. 1989;42:521-529.
600. Launer LJ, Harris T, Rumpel C, Madans J. Body mass index, weight change, and risk of mobility disability in middle-aged and older women. The epidemiologic follow-up study of NHANES I. JAMA. 1994;271:1093-1098.
602. Galanis DJ, Harris T, Sharp DS, Petrovitch H. Relative weight, weight change, and risk of coronary heart disease in the Honolulu Heart Program. Am J Epidemiol. 1998;147:379- 386.
603. Chaturvedi N, Fuller JH. Mortality risk by body weight and weight change in people with NIDDM. The WHO Multinational Study of Vascular Disease in Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 1995;18:766-774.
604. Iribarren C, Sharp DS, Burchfiel CM, Petrovitch H. Association of weight loss and weight fluctuation with mortality among Japanese-American men. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:686-692.
605. Pamuk ER, Williamson DF, Madans J, Serdula MK, Kleinman JC, Byers T. Weight loss and mortality in a national cohort of adults, 1971-1987. Am J Epidemiol. 1992;136:686-697.
606. Rumpel C, Harris TB, Madans J. Modification of the relationship between the Quetelet index and mortality by weight-loss history among older women. Ann Epidemiol. 1993;3:343-350.
607. Wallace JI, Schwartz RS, LaCroix AZ, Uhlmann RF, Pearlman RA. Involuntary weight loss in older outpatients: incidence and clinical significance. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1995;43:329-337.
608. Ensrud KE, Cauley J, Lipschutz R, Cummings SR. Weight change and fractures in older women. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Arch Intern Med. 1997;157:857-863.
609. Langlois JA, Harris T, Looker AC, Madans J. Weight change between age 50 years and old age is associated with risk of hip fracture in white women aged 67 years and older. Arch Intern Med. 1996;156:989-994.
610. Shapses SA, Heymsfield SB, Ricci TA. Voluntary weight reduction increases bone turnover and loss. In: Burckhardt P, Heaney R, Dawson-Hughes B, eds. Nutritional Aspects of Osteoporosis. New York: Springer-Verlag; 1998.
611. Michel BA, Lane NE, Bloch DA, Jones HH, Fries JF. Effect of changes in weight-bearing exercise on lumbar bone mass after age fifty. Ann Med. 1991;23:397-401.
612. Marcus R, Drinkwater B, Dalsky G, et al. Osteoporosis and exercise in women. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1992;24(Suppl 6):S301-S307.
613. Gerace TA, Hollis J, Ockene JK, Svendsen K. Smoking cessation and change in diastolic blood pressure, body weight, and plasma lipids. MRFIT Research Group. Prev Med. 1991;20:602-620.
614. Klesges RC, Meyers AW, Klesges LM, La Vasque ME. Smoking, body weight, and their effects on smoking behavior: a comprehensive review of the literature. Psychol Bull. 1989;106:204-230.
615. Williamson DF, Madans J, Anda RF, Kleinman JC, Giovino GA, Byers T. Smoking cessation and severity of weight gain in a national cohort. N Engl J Med. 1991;324:739-745.
617. Pomerleau CS, Kurth CL. Willingness of female smokers to tolerate postcessation weight gain. J Subst Abuse. 1996;8:371-378.
618. Hall SM, Tunstall CD, Vila KL, Duffy J. Weight gain prevention and smoking cessation: cautionary findings. Am J Public Health. 1992;82:799-803.
619. Spring B, Pingotore R, Kesler K. Cigarette smoking and body weight: strategies to minimize weight gain after smoking cessation. Int J Obes. 1992;16:S19-S23.
620. Perkins KA, Epstein LH, Marks BL, Stiller RL, Jacob RG. The effect of nicotine on energy expenditure during light physical activity. N Engl J Med. 1989;320:898-903.
621. Stamford BA, Matter S, Fell RD, Papanek P. Effects of smoking cessation on weight gain, metabolic rate, caloric consumption, and blood lipids. Am J Clin Nutr. 1986;43:486-494.
622. Gilbert RM, Pope MA. Early effects of quitting smoking. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1982;78:121-127.
623. Spring B, Wurtman J, Gleason R, Wurtman R, Kessler K. Weight gain and withdrawal symptoms after smoking cessation: a preventive intervention using d-fenfluramine. Health Psychol. 1991;10:216-223.
624. Gross J, Stitzer ML, Maldonado J. Nicotine replacement: effects of post cessation weight gain. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1989;57:87-92.
625. Klesges RC, Klesges LM, Meyers AW, Klem ML, Isbell T. The effects of phenyl-propanolamine on dietary intake, physical activity, and body weight after smoking cessation. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1990;47:747-754.
626. Hurt RD, Sachs DPL, Clover ED, et al. A comparison of sustained-release bupropion and placebo for smoking cessation. N Engl J Med. 1997;337:1195-1202.
627. Perri MG, Lauer JB, Yancey DZ, et al. Effects of peer support and therapist contact on long-term weight loss. J Consult Clin Psych. 19;55:615-617.
628. Broussard BA, Johnson A, Himes JH, et al. Prevalence of obesity in American Indians and Alaska Natives. Am J Clin Nutr. 1991;53:1535S-1542S.
629. Hodge AM, Dowse GK, Toelupe P, Collins VR, Imo T, Zimmet PZ. Dramatic increase in the prevalence of obesity in western Samoa over the 13 year period 1978-1991. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1994;18:419-428.
630. Health Care Financing Administration. Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey: 1991. Percentage of medicare beneficiaries who are overweight, by race, gender, and education. Published Data. 1991.
632. Cousins JH, Rubovits DS, Dunn JK, Reeves RS, Ramirez AG, Foreyt JP. Family versus individually oriented intervention for weight loss in Mexican-American women. Public Health Rep. 1992;107:549-555.
633. Daniel EL. A multi-intervention weight management program for low-income rural women. J Am Diet Assoc. 1989;89:1310-1311.
634. Domel SB, Alford BB, Cattlett HN, Gench BE. Weight control for black women. J Am Diet Assoc. 1992;92:346-348.
635. Domel SB, Alford BB, Cattlett HN, Rodriguez ML, Gench BE. A pilot weight control program for Hispanic women. J Am Diet Assoc. 1992;92:1270-1271.
636. Fox RA, Haniotes H, Rotatori A. A stream-lined weight loss program for moderately retarded adults in a sheltered workshop setting. Appl Res Ment Retard. 1984;5:69-79.
637. Heath GW, Wilson RH, Smith J, Leonard BE. Community-based exercise and weight control: diabetes risk reduction and glycemic control in Zuni Indians. Am J Clin Nutr. 1991;53:1642S-1646S.
638. Kanders BS, Ullmann-Joy P, Foreyt JP, et al. The black American lifestyle intervention (BALI): the design of a weight loss program for working-class African-American women. J Am Diet Assoc. 1994;94:310-312.
639. Kumanyika SK, Brancato J, Brewer A, et al. Interventions in the Trials of Nonpharmacologic Intervention in the Elderly. Effective approaches to weight and sodium reduction among older adults. Circulation. 1996;94:I-690.
640. Kumanyika SK, Charleston JB. Lose weight and win: a church-based weight loss program for blood pressure control among black women. Patient Educ Counseling. 1992;19:19-32.
641. Lasco RA, Curry RH, Dickson VJ, Powers J, Menes S, Merritt RK. Participation rates, weight loss, and blood pressure changes among obese women in a nutrition-exercise program. Public Health Rep. 1989;104:640-646.
642. McNabb W, Quinn M, Kerver J, Cook S, Karrison T. The PATHWAYS church-based weight loss program for urban African-American women at risk for diabetes. Diabetes Care. 1997;20:1518-1523.
643. McNabb WL, Quinn MT, Rosing L. Weight loss program for inner-city black women with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: Pathways. J Am Diet Assoc. 1993;93:75-77.
644. Mount MA, Kendrick OW, Draughon M, Stitt KR, Head D, Mount R. Group participation as a method to achieve weight loss and blood glucose control. J Nutr Educ. 1991;23:25-29.
645. Mulrow C, Bailey S, Sonksen PH, Slavin B. Evaluation of an audiovisual diabetes education program: Negative results of a randomized trial of patients with non-insulin- dependent diabetes mellitus. J Gen Intern Med. 1987;2:215-219.
647. Shintani TT, Hughes CK, Beckham S, O'Connor HK. Obesity and cardiovascular risk intervention through an ad libitum feeding of traditional Hawaiian diet. Am J Clin Nutr. 1991;53:1647S-1651S.
648. Sullivan J, Carter JP. A nutrition-physical fitness intervention program for low-income black parents. J Natl Med Assoc. 1985;77:39-43.
649. Gleadhill IC, Schwartz AR, Schubert N, Wise RA, Permutt S, Smith PL. Upper airway collapsibility in snorers and in patients with obstructive hypopnea and apnea. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1991;143:1300-1303.
650. Gold AR, Schwartz AR, Wise RA, Smith PL. Pulmonary function and respiratory chemosensitivity in moderately obese patients with sleep apnea. Chest. 1993;103:1325-1329.
651. Block AJ, Boysen PG, Wynne JW, Hunt LA. Sleep apnea, hypopnea, and oxygen desaturation in normal subjects. A strong male predominance. N Engl J Med. 1979;300:513-517.
652. Guilleminault C, Dement WC. Sleep Apnea Syndromes. Conference on Sleep Apnea Syndromes. New York: Liss; 1978.
653. Schmidt-Nowara WW. Cardiovascular consequences of sleep apnea. Prog Clin Biol Res. 1990;345:377-385.
654. Norton PG, Dunn EV. Snoring as a risk factor for disease: an epidemiological survey. BMJ (Clin Res Ed). 1985;291:630-632.
655. Jennum P, Hein HO, Suadicani P, Gyntelberg F. Cardiovascular risk factors in snorers. A cross-sectional study of 3,323 men aged 54 to 74 years: the Copenhagen Male Study. Chest. 1992;102:1371-1376.
656. Stradling JR, Crosby JH. Predictors and prevalence of obstructive sleep apnea and snoring in 1001 middle aged men. Thorax. 1991;46:85-90.
657. Guilleminault C, Quera-Salva MA, Partinen M, Jamieson A. Women and the obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Chest. 1988;93:104-109.
658. Connolly HM, Crary JL, McGoon MD, et al. Valvular heart disease associated with Fenfluramine-Phentermine. N Engl J Med. 1997;337:581-588.
659. Hedner J. Vascular function in OSA. Sleep.1996; 19(10Suppl):S213-S217.
660. Tofler GH, Brezinski D, Schafer AI, et al. Concurrent morning increase in platelet aggregability and the risk of myocardial infarction and sudden cardiac death. N Engl J Med. 1987;316:1514-1518.
662. Partinen M, Jamieson A, Guilleminault C. Long-term outcome for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome patients. Mortality. Chest. 1988;94:1200-1204.
663. Harman EM, Wynne JW, Block AJ. The effect of weight loss on sleep-disordered breathing and oxygen desaturation in morbidly obese men. Chest. 1982; 82:291-294.
664. Charuzi I, Ovnat A, Peiser J, Saltz H, Weitzman S, Lavie P. The effect of surgical weight reduction on sleep quality in obesity-related sleep apnea syndrome. Surgery. 1985;97:535-538.
665. Peiser J, Lavie P, Ovnat A, Charuzi I. Sleep apnea syndrome in the morbidly obese as an indication for weight reduction surgery. Ann Surg. 1984;199:112-115.
666. Sugerman HJ, Fairman RP, Baron PL Kwentus JA. Gastric surgery for respiratory insufficiency of obesity. Chest. 1986;90:81-86.
667. Rubinstein I, Colapinto N, Rotstein LE, Brown IG, Hoffstein V. Improvement in upper airway function after weight loss in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1988;138:1192-1195.
668. Smith PL, Gold AR, Meyers DA, Haponik EF, Bleecker ER. Weight loss in mildly to moderately obese patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Ann Intern Med. 1985; 103:850-855.
669. Aubert-Tulkens G, Culee C, Rodenstein DO. Cure of sleep apnea syndrome after long-term nasal continuous positive airway pressure therapy and weight loss. Sleep. 1989;12:216-222.
670. Pasquali R, Colella P, Cirignotta F, et al. Treatment of obese patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS): effect of weight loss and interference of otorhinolaryngoiatric pathology. Int J Obes. 1990; 14:207-217.
671. Suratt PM, McTier RF, Findley LJ, Pohl SL, Wilhoit SC. Effect of very low-calorie diets with weight loss on obstructive sleep apnea. Am J Clin Nutr. 1992; 56:182S-184S.
672. Schwartz AR, Gold AR, Schubert N, et al. Effect of weight loss on upper airway collapsibility in obstructive sleep apnea. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1991;144:494-498.
673. American Thoracic Society. Indications and standards for use of nasal continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) in sleep apnea syndromes. Am J Resp Crit Care Med.1994;150:1738-1745.
674. Andersson B, Elam M, Wallin BG, Bjorntorp P, Andersson OK. Effect of energy-restricted diet on sympathetic muscle nerve activity in obese women. Hypertension. 1991;18:783- 789.
675. Andersson OK, Fagerberg B, Hedner T. Haemodynamic adjustment to weight reduction separate effects of energy versus salt restriction. J Hypertens Suppl. 1983;1:35-37.