Third Report of the Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (ATP III Final Report)
Third Report of the Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III, or ATP III) presents the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) updated recommendations on cholesterol testing and management. The ATP III document is an evidence-based report that provides the scientific rationale for the recommendations contained in the Executive Summary.
Limit 1 copy per customer
ATP III is constructed on the foundation of ATP I and ATP II, with low density lipoprotein (LDL) continuing to be identified as the primary target of cholesterol lowering therapy.
New features of ATP III include:
- Aggressive treatment of persons who are at relatively high risk for coronary heart disease due to multiple risk factors
- Use of the lipoprotein profile as the first test for high cholesterol
- A new level at which low HDL (high density lipoprotein) becomes a major heart disease risk factor
- A new set of "Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes" to improve cholesterol levels
- An increased focus on a cluster of heart disease risk factors knows as "the metabolic syndrome"
- Increased attention to the treatment of high triglycerides
Item No.: 02-5215
PDF (1.05MB) | Print (Information about file types)
NHLBI produced publications
Page Count: 280 pages
Audience: Health Professionals
Size: 8.5 in. X 11 in.
Date of Publication: 2002
Order by telephone, fax, or mail