RFA HL-11-032 (R03)
Utilization of a Human Lung Tissue Resource for Vascular Research
Frequently Asked Questions
- If I apply for the October 14, 2011 receipt date, when do I need to contact the PHBI?
Potential applicants are encouraged to contact the PHBI with their requests to seek tissues at least 8 weeks prior to the application receipt date. Applicants contacting the PHBI less than 6 weeks prior to the application receipt date may not have their request evaluated in time to submit an application (no later than September 6, 2011 for the October receipt date).
- Do I need to send in a Letter of Intent for the October 14, 2011 receipt date?
An optional LOI for the October 14, 2011 application receipt date can be sent by Sept. 14, 2011. It should be sent to the following:
Director, Office of Scientific Review
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
National Institutes of Health
6701 Rockledge Drive, Room 7214, MSC 7214
Bethesda, MD 20892-7214
Bethesda, MD 20817 (express/courier service)
Fax: (301) 480-0730
- How much in direct costs can I ask for this program?
The R03 grant mechanism is limited to $50,000 in direct costs per year.
- Can I obtain cells for the purposes of immortalizing them?
No. This is not an acceptable project.
- The RFA indicates that the contact for learning more about the PHBI is the following website: http://www.ipahresearch.org/. However, this link appears broken.
The website is currently undergoing reconstruction. For specific questions regarding the PHBI or its supporting entity, the CMREF, please contact Patt Wolfe at email@example.com.
- Does the PHBI provide human subjects research approval for using their tissues?
No. In fact, both the NIH and the PHBI will require local IRB approval for the studies being proposed in an application. In most cases, the PI's local IRB deems this type of work E4, but it is still the investigator's responsibility to obtain and provide all IRB approvals and decisions prior to any grant being awarded or acquisition of PHBI materials.
Last Updated August 2011