TEXT E-MAIL TEMPLATES
Version #1: For women
Heart Disease is #1 killer of women. Know your risk factors.
Do you know The Heart Truth® about women and heart disease? More women die of heart disease than any other disease-even breast cancer. In fact, of the women who died in 2007 (the most current year for which data are available), 1 in 4 died from heart disease. And living with it can lead to disability and a decreased quality of life.
But few women take their risk seriously-or personally. Having just one risk factor can double your risk for developing heart disease. Multiple risk factors, will, multiply your risk.
What can you do to lower your risk?
Know the risk factors for heart disease:
- High blood pressure
- High blood cholesterol
- Physical inactivity
- Family history of early coronary heart disease
- Age (for women, 55 and older)
Talk to your doctor to find out if you are at risk. And take action. Not smoking, heart healthy eating, physical activity, maintaining a healthy weight, and taking prescribed medication can help to control and reduce the risks.
This information is brought to you from The Heart Truth, a national awareness campaign sponsored by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), a part of the National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, in partnership with: American Heart Association; Office on Women's Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; WomenHeart: the National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease; and other organizations committed to the health and well-being of women.
For more information about women and heart disease, visit www.hearttruth.gov.
Version #2: For organization members
______________________________(your organization name) has joined The Heart Truth, a national awareness campaign for women about heart disease, sponsored by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, part of the National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Join us in spreading The Heart Truth® that heart disease is the #1 killer of women. In fact, of the women who died in 2007 (the most current year for which data are available), 1 in 4 died from heart disease. Unfortunately, most women don't take their risk of heart disease seriously or personally. Help us to motivate women to find out their risks and take action to lower them.
It's easy to use The Heart Truth campaign materials to spread the word. Here's how:
- Use The Heart Truth Online Toolkit to find ideas and materials for planning your own Heart Truth event.
- Use The Heart Truth for Women: A Speaker's Kit to give a compelling one-hour talk in your community.
- Get The Healthy Heart Handbook for Women, an updated 122-page guide to the most recent information on women's heart disease and practical tips for how to reduce the risk of developing it.
- Distribute the campaign brochure, The Heart Truth for Women. Available in English and Spanish, it features women telling their own stories about heart disease and provides information about risk factors and a checklist of key questions to ask the doctor.
- Visit The Heart Truth Web pages at www.hearttruth.gov to find out more about the campaign and to view and order campaign materials.
Last Updated: February 29, 2012