The Strategic Plan was disseminated in the following ways:
- The full Strategic Plan and Executive Summary was made available via downloadable PDF on the NHLBI website on March 29, 2007.
- The Plan was sent to advisory groups, planning participants, and organizations that provided comments on the final draft.
- The illustrated version of the full Strategic Plan and the new illustrated Summary Brochure were made available on the NHLBI website on November 30, 2007, along with an ordering form and Strategic Plan slide sets.
- A press release about publications availability was sent to NHLBI-related trade press.
- Copies were sent to advisory groups, planning participants, organizations that provided comments for the draft plan, and to other relevant constituency groups and institutions involved.
The NHLBI continues to look to the larger research community to develop the ideas and conduct the studies that advance our knowledge of heart, lung, and blood diseases and enable its application in ways that improve public health. The Strategic Plan will be realized through our investment in investigator-initiated research and, especially, through those innovative investigator-initiated research projects that entail a high risk but offer the promise of especially high returns. Institute investments guided by this plan will be directed largely toward programs that will either enable or complement investigator-initiated activities. The Institute continues to develop and explore effective ways to collaborate with other agencies of the Federal government; with other governmental agencies, both domestic and foreign; and with nongovernmental organizations, both public and private. Our success in implementing the plan will be evaluated on an ongoing basis by the institute with advice and guidance provided by the National Heart Lung and Blood Advisory Council.