Dr. Ralph E. Knutti is internationally known for his achievements in advancing medical education and training in the biomedical sciences.
After earning his medical degree from Yale University in 1928, he taught in the pathology departments at the University of Rochester and University of Southern California Medical School. Joining the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps in 1951, he was assigned to the National Institute of Arthritis and Metabolic Diseases to lead its extramural research and training programs and was named Associate Director of Extramural Programs in 1960. He joined the National Heart Institute as director in 1961 and established the artificial heart program in 1964. After retiring in 1965, he served as executive officer of Universities Associated for Research and Education in Pathology until his final retirement in 1972.
Dr. Knutti died in 1994.