Division of Cardiovascular Diseases Strategic Plan
Goals in Cardiovascular Clinical Problems or Disease States
Table of Contents
- Congenital and Valvular Disease
- Explain the developmental and genetic basis of congenital heart disease.
- Improve evidence-based care and treatment of children with congenital and acquired pediatric heart disease.
- Improve evidence-based care and treatment of adults with congenital heart disease.
- Increase our understanding of the initiation and progression of valvular heart disease toward improving its diagnosis and therapy.
- Hypertension, Atherothrombosis, and Vascular Disease
- Develop and evaluate preventive and therapeutic strategies for cardiovascular risk factors for acquired heart disease beginning in childhood.
- Develop and validate new strategies to prevent target organ damage in hypertension.
- Prevent initiation and progression of atherosclerosis/atherothrombosis.
- Improve management of acute and chronic coronary syndromes.
- Improve prevention and treatment strategies for aortic aneurysms to prevent their progression, rupture, and dissection.
- Improve diagnostic and therapeutic strategies for lower extremity peripheral arterial disease.
- Develop new preventive and therapeutic approaches for cerebrovascular disease.
- Advance understanding of the fundamental mechanisms regulating the function of the lymphatic vasculature in relation to cardiovascular diseases.
- Improve diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of venous thromboembolism.
- Cardiac Arrhythmias
- Develop means to predict and prevent sudden cardiac arrest and subsequent death.
- Halt the epidemic of atrial fibrillation and its associated morbidity.
- Improve the dismal (5-10 percent) and stagnant success rate of out-of-hospital cardiac and life-threatening trauma resuscitation.
- Heart Failure, Cardiac Arrest, Recovery and Replacement Therapies
- Reduce the morbidity and mortality of ischemic and non-ischemic dilated cardiomyopathy by developing new treatments through improved understanding of pathophysiology.
- Reduce the morbidity and mortality of hypertensive heart failure.
- Establish strategies to prevent or reverse the phenotypic expression of genetically identifiable myocardial and rhythm disorders.
- Expand the application of mechanical cardiac support devices to improve clinical outcomes in patients with heart failure.
- Develop effective therapies for protecting the heart from ischemia and reperfusion injury.
- Improve outcome for cardiac transplant patients and make transplantation available to a larger number of heart failure patients
Return to Goals of the Division of Cardiovascular Diseases Strategic Plan.